Thursday, January 23, 2014

Only You Can Change Your Life

Yesterday I spent some great quality time with Yossi to hang out and talk about this blog. We watched the documentary "Forks Over Knives" together (my first time seeing it).  

After a few failed attempts at easing in, Yo went cold turkey vegan at the turn of the new year. Understanding the importance of nutrition and then using the knowledge are two separate processes though. We knew what we should be doing. We just .... weren't.  After watching this documentary (while being served a 3 course plant-based meal that Yossi cooked, so delicious!) and seeing the results of our Uncle Ben, who really kicked off this plant-based quest, I figure it's time to rise up and give this a real try. Heart disease runs in our Eastern European family who raised us on staples of meat and potatoes. I will miss our "string meat" and traditional "luction mit yuch" but I am glad to have them as memories and come up with amazing updated versions of our family favorites and traditional meals. The elders in our family luckily lived a long life by today's standard, but I do have to wonder the "ifs" about what a diet modification could have achieved for them. And I think about my Uncle Garry, Yossi's Dad, gone way too soon. I miss him so much and know that he would encourage these health-conscious lifestyle changes in us. He was always active, hard working.. And he had quadruple bypass surgery. 

I only watched this documentary yesterday, and went shopping for a colorful aray of groceries a few hours ago. 


don't doubt that there may be a time I break down and indulge. I am still a human being. But I really want to take control of controllable aspects of my life. Personal health should be everyone's priority! I hope Yossi keeps you encouraged, the way he has kept me encouraged, and maybe you can be an example to your family the way he is to us.  Love you, Yo, keep up the good work! 

God is Nature, Nature is Health, and Health is Beautiful



No comments:

Post a Comment